If you’ve decided to make the switch to an electric vehicle, you may have questions about how to pick and install a home EV charger.
In this blog, our qualified electricians in Brisbane shed some light on four important factors to consider before you make your final selection.
Already decided which home charger is best and would like a quote for installation? Call Armitage Electrical today on 1800 230 400 for a free quote.
4 Things to Consider Before Installing a Home EV Charger
- Charge times
While it is convenient to have your very own EV charger at home, one of the most important things to consider is the level of charging (slow trickle or fast) and the length of time it will take for the vehicle to charge.
For example, Tesla’s Wall Connector can provide up to 75km of range per hour of charge for some model EVs (which means you can be confident your car will be ready to go in the morning, if it’s been plugged in through the night!)
Whereas standard car chargers that come with the vehicle and will typically plug into a normal 10amp power point and can take up to 16 hours for a triple charge.
2. Cost to charge
There are numerous free charging stations around, but the time to drive to and from these sites and also the wait time at these sites to charge can’t compete with convenience to charge at home.
For home chargers, fast charging with 3-phase will cost the same amount as a trickle charge unit – but the 3-phase chargers will reach 100% charge at a much quicker pace.
Also, many Armitage Electrical customers who have large solar panel systems like to offset running costs if they use their charger in peak times.
If you would like to reduce costs further, ask our team about setting your charger to run on off-peak metres.
3. You need an electrician
It’s important to hire the right person to carry out the installation for you.
In fact, professional, licensed, and insured electricians (like Armitage Electrical on Brisbane’s northside) are required to install EV vehicle chargers that are hardwired.
We run a dedicated circuit from your electrical switchboard to your charging terminal during as part of the installation process.
Why hardwired? Well, hardwired chargers are the only way we can achieve true fast-paced charging above 10amp and 15amp plug in options.
4. Cost to install
The cost of the installation will vary depending on the type of charger and your current circuit board setup at home, but typically ranges from $550 to $1250 if it is relatively straightforward.
Things that may impact the price include:
- Age of switchboard: EV chargers are a new product and are not designed to be installed in conjunction with dated switchboards or mains cables. Older switchboards may need to be upgraded to suit EV charger installations.
- Distance between the charging station and your existing switchboard: Luckily most domestic switchboards are located in or near the garage, however some charging stations may need to be installed some distance away from the main switchboard which can inflate costs.
- The size of the charger
- Design of house and area of installation: Is there ceiling space to run cables or is there another unit or storey above where you wish charger to be installed?
Install Home EV Charger in Brisbane
Generally, the installation process includes:
- Site visit: We will visit your property to determine the best charger for your space and needs, and if any electrical upgrades will be required.
- Quote: Once we have been able to evaluate the above, we will be able to provide an accurate quote.
- Installation: If you are happy with the quote, we can schedule installation of your EV Home charger. As we need to run a dedicated switch board to the charging terminal, homeowners should keep in mind that this process can take up to two days.
Why Armitage Electrical
We are proud to be one of Brisbane’s most reputable electricians and have ample experience installing domestic electric vehicle chargers.
Here are some other reasons to select Armitage Electrical for your domestic electrical needs:
- Professional, reliable and trustworthy
- Our attention-to detail is second to none
- We deliver projects on time and on budget
- We are licensed and insured.
Do you have any questions about EV Home charger installation or are you ready for a consultation with our qualified electricians?
Please call today on 0433 578 633.
Armitage Electrical are your fully qualified and licensed, trustworthy, professional and reliable electricians North Brisbane.
With all-inclusive up-front pricing, Armitage Electrical provides the highest quality electrical, maintenance or repairs on hot water systems, switchboard and mains upgrades, and pool and shed wiring for your home North Brisbane.