Did you know Queensland smoke alarm laws are changing?
If you’re a landlord or property owner, and you haven’t upgraded to photoelectric smoke alarms in your rental property, or installed new alarms in every bedroom, you don’t have long to make the changes.
Our latest blog can help you navigate the new legislation and hopefully answer some questions you might have.
Qld Smoke Alarm Legislation 2022
From January 1, 2022 any homes or units being leased or having a lease renewed need to have smoke alarms that are:
- Interconnected – so when one is activated, they all will sound the alert.
- Photoelectric (AS3786-2014) – able to detect visible particles of combustion.
- Hardwired OR wireless and powered by non-removable 10yr battery– If existing smoke alarms are hardwired, any new ones installed will also have to be hardwired.
Smoke Alarm Locations
A property owner also needs to ensure the smoke alarms are in installed in the following locations by the beginning of 2022:
- Every bedroom in the dwelling
- Every hallway that connects bedrooms (If there’s no hallway then there will need to be smoke alarms installed between bedrooms and other parts of the storey)
- On every storey of the dwelling
- When there are no bedrooms on a storey, there must at least one alarm installed in the most likely exit pathway
Smoke Alarm Testing in Rental Properties
Both landlords and tenants have obligations when it comes to testing and cleaning fire alarms within a rental property.
If the alarms don’t work when tested, they must be replaced immediately.
If they are more than 10-years-old they also need to be replaced.
Learn more about specific testing and cleaning obligations for tenants and landlords on the RTA website here.
Qld Rental Smoke Alarm Laws
Do you have to install new smoke alarms to make sure your rental property is compliant with the new laws?
The qualified and licensed team at Armitage Electrical is here to help.
Call us now on 1800 230 400 or send us a message online here.
Armitage Electrical are your fully qualified and licensed, trustworthy, professional and reliable electricians North Brisbane.
With all-inclusive up-front pricing, Armitage Electrical provides the highest quality electrical, maintenance or repairs on hot water systems, switchboard and mains upgrades, and pool and shed wiring for your home North Brisbane.