If you’re installing a new pool, one of the fundamentals is to ensure that all the pool earthing requirements are met.
But what exactly is pool earthing, and why is it so important?
Did you know that there are strict electrical and earthing guidelines to follow when installing a pool?
This is for good reason because even a minor voltage can cause drowning due to loss of muscle control.
In this article, we’ll answer those questions and explain why pool earthing is essential for your safety.
Electrical Wiring Requirements for Swimming Pools
There are special electrical requirements for pools, and it is important for pool wiring and electrical equipment to be installed by a licensed electrician.
The Queensland Government Electrical Safety Office stipulates these requirements in its information guide here.
Pool Earthing Safety
Installing your pool earthing correctly is essential for your safety, as well as the safety of your family and friends.
Some things you need to consider is:
- Is all the earthing and electrical equipment positioned far enough distanced from the body of water to eliminate the risk of electrical shock
- Is there a “potential difference” This refers to external electrical potential difference, or voltage, and measures the electrical work required to bring a charge from one place to another in an electrical outlet.
What needs to be earthed?
- Anything within 1.25m (‘arms reach’) of the water’s edge
- Concrete coping
- Anything metallic
Earthing Pool Fence
Armitage Electrical will talk you through things you want to consider when installing and earthing your new pool fence.
Not every pool is the same – for example, some people have restricted space to work with. By assessing your unique situation, we can tailor a package that suits you and can ultimately save you money in the long run.
Earthing Pool Fence Spigots
Both glass and aluminium fencing require electrical work but one requires more work (and is more costly!)
- Glass fencing – With glass fencing, every spigot must be earthed. Usually, 2 spigots are needed per panel of glass fencing. So, depending on the length of fencing, the cost can add up quickly!
- Aluminium fencing – Aluminium fencing tends to be the more affordable option as only one earthing point is required. This is because the entire aluminium fencing is connected.
Pool Earthing Requirements QLD
In conclusion, it is important to be aware of the electrical wiring requirements for swimming pools as well as the pool earthing safety in order to keep you and your family safe.
Swimming pools can be a great source of fun and relaxation, but it is important to take the necessary precautions to ensure everyone’s safety.
Call Armitage Electrical today, we have a range of Pool Installation Packages to suit your needs.
Armitage Electrical are your fully qualified and licensed, trustworthy, professional and reliable electricians North Brisbane.
With all-inclusive up-front pricing, Armitage Electrical provides the highest quality electrical, maintenance or repairs on hot water systems, switchboard and mains upgrades, and pool and shed wiring for your home North Brisbane.